Any gamer can tell you that a great game is not limited to dynamic graphics and a great storyline. What can truly make or break a game is the experience. Through the immersive VR technology brought to you by Oculus Quest 2 (Meta Quest 2), the gaming experience has evolved like never before.
Not only can you bring the game to life for yourself, but you can also cast the Oculus Quest 2 directly to your TV for a more interactive experience. This can be tricky, but learning how to cast your Oculus Quest 2 to a TV is, quite literally, a game changer.
If you haven't purchased your Oculus Quest 2, you can do so here!
Why Cast Your Oculus Quest 2 to a TV
It is true. Gaming has become a more solo experience as technology has advanced. This cannot be more true when it comes to the Oculus Quest 2 and the VR experience.
If the gaming experience with the Oculus Quest 2 is innately designed to be a solo experience, why cast it to a TV at all? Here are a few reasons it might be fun to cast your gameplay to your TV
When siblings play games together, it is not fun to wait for the other to complete their turn while watching nothing. Casting the Oculus Quest 2 to a TV will allow them to enjoy gameplay together.
No one wants to be invited over to play video games just to sit in silence and play on their phone while waiting for their turn. Just like with siblings, your friends want to be a part of the game as well.
If you are struggling to beat a boss or pass a level, having another eye outside the Oculus Quest 2 will can help you get a perspective you may not be seeing. Your friends can tell you where to improve your skills so that beating that level is within your grasp.
Let's face it, virtual reality gaming is cool. It's still in its infancy and having your friends and family come over to watch you demonstrate the gameplay possibilities can be very fun.
Ok, so we have the why, now let’s get into how to cast the Oculus Quest 2 to your TV.
How to Cast the Oculus Quest 2 to Your TV
Technology can vary from TV to TV, so we have broken it down by device (Samsung, Apple, Smart, etc.) so that you can Cast the Oculus Quest to any device. The process is easy, and anyone can do it in a few simple steps.
How to Cast the Oculus Quest 2 to your Samsung TV
First things first. Make sure that your Samsung TV has the ability to connect to the device that you are casting from. Most Samsung TVs have the built-in casting technology, but if yours does not, you will need to invest in a Chromecast.
Once you're Samsung TV is capable of accepting your Oculus Quest 2 casting, you will need to download the Oculus app on your phone. You can find the Oculus app for Android here and the Oculus app for iOS here.
Now that you have the Oculus app downloaded to your device, make sure that Samsung TV and device are both connected to the same network and you should be ready to cast in a few simple steps.
o How to cast to Your Samsung TV from your Oculus 2 Headset
- Put on your headset
- Open the universal menu
- Select the option for sharing and press cast
- Select your Samsung TV as the device that you want to cast to
- Press start and you are ready to go
o How to Cast to Your Samsung TV from the APP
- Power on both your Oculus Quest 2 and your Samsung TV
- Open your Oculus App and tap the cast icon on the top right of the screen
- The app should automatically detect your Oculus Quest 2 headset in Cast From menu.
- In the “Cast To” menu, select your Samsung TV
- Tap the start button at the bottom of your screen and accept the cast from your Oculus Quest 2 headset.
If you have performed every step correctly, you should see a red dot in your VR headset indicating that casting has begun. Now your friends and family can watch you enjoy your VR experience.
How to Cast the Oculus Quest 2 to your Apple TV
Casting to your Apple TV is slightly different than casting to a Samsung TV since Apple uses AirPlay. There are two methods that include mirroring your screen through AirPlay and using Chromecast.\
o How to Cast to Your Apple TV Via AirPlay
- Must be done using an Apple Device
- On your Oculus Quest 2, open the home menu
- Tap the sharing option and then tap the casting option
- There, choose to cast your Oculus Quest 2 to your mobile app
- Accept the casting from your mobile app
- Swipe down and from the upper right-hand corner of your phone and select screen mirror
o How to Cast to Your Apple TV using Chromecast
- Can be done using an Apple or Android Device
- Connect your Chromecast to your Apple TV
- Open the home menu on your Oculus Quest 2
- Select the sharing option
- Select your Chromecast and the device you are casting to
- If you have performed every step correctly, you should now be casting your gameplay onto your Apple TV.
How to Cast the Oculus Quest 2 to your Smart TV
If you have any other Smart TV, casting your Oculus Quest 2 to it will be identical to how you would cast to a Samsung TV. If your Smart TV has built-in casting, then there are no other additional devices required. If built-in casting is not a feature on your Smart TV, a Chromecast is required for you to be able to cast your Oculus Quest 2 to it.
Enjoy Casting Your Oculus Quest 2 to Your TV
Now that you have successfully cast your Oculus Quest 2 to your Samsung, Apple, or Smart TV, you can begin to enjoy localized group gaming with friends and family. Invite everyone over and enjoy everything VR gaming has to offer! Your multiplayer gaming experience just got better!