You’ll almost certainly know where the cheapest gas station near you is located…
But what about when you’re out and about in an area you’re not familiar with? Paying too much for gas is annoying at best.
If you find yourself in such a situation, one of the first things you’ll probably do is Google ‘cheap gas near me now’ or ‘cheap gas station near me’. And you may just find the cheapest gas station near you.
But there’s a more intuitive way using apps…
Cheap Gas ‘Near Me' Apps to Help
That’s right! There are actually ‘cheap gas near me apps’ that do exactly as their name suggests: help you find cheap gas near you.
To help you out, we’ve compiled this list of the best cheap gas near me apps out there.
GasBuddy has more than 60 million users, all of who help contribute to all the information it holds.
Founded in 2000 and based in Boston, GasBuddy is the largest gas discovery platform in North America — so you know you’re in safe hands when using it.
Other helpful GasBuddy features:
- Gas station reviews
- Search for gas stations based on your needs (by ZIP code, city or state)
- Road trip guides
- Rewards, challenges, and competitions – you can even win free gas!
Gas Guru is an app by the same folks behind Yellowpages. So again, you know you’re in pretty safe hands and that the app is from a reputable organization.
Gas Guru’s most helpful feature is that it’s extremely customizable. Label and save your frequent locations for easy access to up to date prices.
Other helpful Gas Guru features:
- Quickly see and compare gas station prices near you
- Search for other helpful places, like ATMs, auto repair, food, etc.
- Check when gas prices were last updated
- Get directions to gas stations near you (very useful when you’re somewhere you’re not familiar with)
AAA Mobile’s TripTik Travel Planner feature
The AAA Mobile app has a feature called the AAA TripTik Travel Planner, and it’s great for saving you money on fuel!
As well as the usual roadside assistance, hotel & restaurant, and saved trip sharing, the AAA Mobile app can also help you find the cheapest gas station near you by taking advantage of the association’s enormous database.
Other helpful AAA Mobile features:
- Book hotels, restaurants, and rental cars
- Save with member discounts
- Share saved trips across desktop and mobile devices
- Find AAA-approved auto repair facilities, office locations, and cheap gas
Gas Prices by MapQuest GPS Navigation & Maps
The MapQuest GPS Navigation & Maps is another navigation help that can also help you find cheap gas near you.
This user-friendly app allows you to choose from different fuel grades and set favorite gas stations. It then works its magic to direct you to the cheapest gas stations in your near vicinity.
Other helpful MapQuest GPS Navigation & Maps features:
- Real-time traffic information
- Voice-guided GPS navigation (in the US and Canada)
- Smart traffic beating functionality to get you to your destination quicker
- Search for not only cheap gas stations, but also hotels and restaurants
- On-demand roadside assistance
While it’s most popular as a navigation app, Waze can also help you find the cheapest gas station near you.
The community-based, Google-owned app works really well because it relies on people helping each other out with information — and that’s great for finding cheap gas!
Other helpful Waze features:
- Preferred gas stations option
- Sort by price, or brand
- Always take the fastest or best route (and save gas)
- Additional money-saving deals
Car insurance company GEICO has its own simple to use and extremely useful app to help you find cheap gas near you.
The best part of all is you don’t need to be a GEICO customer to take advantage of it!
Other helpful GEICO Mobile features:
- Real-time fuel prices provided by the Oil Price Information Service
- A gas price locator feature to find the cheapest gas stations near you
GetUpside is perfect if you’re the kind of person who not only wants cheap gas, but also savings at restaurants and grocery stores.
The app facilitates this by partnering up with local businesses to offer exclusive cash back deals that help you save money.
It’s worth noting that GetUpside works slightly differently to the other apps on our list. You provide it with your phone number and it sends you offers at local gas stations near you.
You fill up your car, take a picture of your receipt, and then claim the cashback reward via PayPal or check.
Other helpful GetUpside features:
- Save up to 35% at restaurants
- Save up to 15% at grocery stores
Many people don’t know that Google Maps can help you find cheap gas. But it can!
Gas station locations and prices are built into the app’s navigation functionality, allowing you to find cheap fuel as you’re traveling.
And the app is available for both iPhone and Android.
Other helpful Google Maps features:
- Find businesses, restaurants, hotels, places of interest and more near you
- Navigate to where you want to go
- Measure map distances
Bonus tips for saving gas
Here are 5 free bonus tips to help you save more gas:
- Check your tire pressures regularly. If you need air in your tire, don't pay for it, get free air for your tires.
- Accelerate gently and don’t overdo the revs!
- Avoid excess idling and always use the highest feasible gear.
- Combine short trips and travel light.
- Make sure your car is as aerodynamic as possible (so keep windows and sunroofs closed).
For more life hacks and tips to find free (or cheap) things be sure to check out the following articles we have created just for you:
More free & life hack articles:
Josh writes about ways to make money, pay off debt, and improve yourself. After paying off $200,000 in student loans with his wife in less than four years, Josh started Money Life Wax and has been featured on Forbes, Business Insider, Huffington Post and more! In addition to being a life-long entrepreneur, Josh and his wife enjoy spending time with their chocolate lab named Morgan, working out, helping others with their debt and recommend using Personal Capital to track your finances.