Roku offers subscribers two methods to cancel their HBO Max subscription, being either on the website or on the actual Roku streaming device.
While the market of online streaming devices continues to grow, there are still preferred and leading online streaming services.
One in particular is Roku, which is the leading video streaming service which allows its users to add-on other leading streaming services.
One of these popular add-on channels is HBO Max, which costs $14.99 per month after the seven-day free trial period is over.
If your subscription was acquired through Roku, you can cancel the subscription in two easy ways; either through the streaming device or through the Roku website.
Why is HBO Max so popular in the US?
HBO Max was introduced in the United States in May 2020. The streaming service quickly garnered a loyal clientele due to its contribution to what was dubbed the most renaissance of television.
The platform did this by hosting one of the biggest television series in recent history, Game of Thrones, which brought back the long-form television shows as everyone watched HBO Max on Sundays.
It continued this tradition with its current flagship series, Euphoria, which has arguably continued the tradition with every new season released of the acclaimed series.
HBO Max: Cancel subscription Roku
Before cancelling your HBO Max subscription via Roku, you need to take into account whether you acquired the subscription through Roku or not.
This is as an independent subscription to HBO Max will require that you cancel the subscription directly through HBO Max.
The easiest way to know whether the subscription was acquired via Roku is by looking at your monthly subscription bill.
If the bill includes the additional HBO Max fee, then you are subscribed through the platform. Therefore, there are two options to cancel the subscription. It is either through the Roku streaming device or by logging into the Roku website.
Through the streaming service, the steps to follow include:
- Step 1: Press “Home” on your Roku remote
- Step 2: Select the channel that you want to cancel
- Step 3: Then press asterisk (*) button on your remote to open the options menu
- Step 4: Select “Manage subscription”
- Step 5: Click on “Cancel” to unsubscribe to the subscription
- Step 6: To confirm, select “Done”
Alternatively, to cancel the subscription on website, you can follow these steps:
- Step 1: Visit the Roku account
- Step 2: Enter your sign in details and select “Submit” to confirm
- Step 3: Hover your mouse over the “Welcome” tab with your name in the top-right corner of the screen
- Step 4: Select “Manage your subscriptions”
- Step 5: A list of your subscriptions will appear, select the HBO Max icon
- Step 6: Click the “Unsubscribe” button to the right to cancel your subscription
|Buy it on Amazon
HBO Max: How to cancel my subscription directly
If you did not acquire the HBO Max subscription via Roku, then it is advised that you cancel the subscription directly through HBO Max. This ensures that you do not get charged despite thinking that the service was already cancelled.
This has been known to happen, which results in a lot of confusion. As such, the steps to cancel the subscription directly through the HBO Max website are:
- Step 1: Launch browser and visit HBO Max
- Step 2: Fill in your sign in details, and click “Sign in”
- Step 3: Click on your “Profile” icon and select “Billing Information/Subscription”
- Step 4: Select “Manage Subscription”
- Step 5: Click “Cancel Subscription” on the “My Account page”
- Step 6: Click on “Yes” to confirm the cancelation after “Cancel Subscription” pop-up appears
HBO Max: Can I cancel my subscription via the cable provider?
If you are still using a cable television service and you are looking to cancel your HBO Max subscription, it is possible to do so.
One way is signing into your online account and managing your account details and subscriptions and following the prompts.
However, you also need to contact your cable television provider to ensure that the cancellation was processed, or risk unexpected costs appearing on your bill in the coming month.
It is more labour intensive, but rather spend the time unnecessarily when the bill comes.
Note: Cancelation is not immediate
It is important to note that your HBO Max subscription cancellation is not immediate. Meaning that firstly, you cannot cancel the subscription on the day of billing, you need to cancel the subscription 48 to 24 hours before the next billing cycle.
If not, you risk being charged for the next monthly streaming cycle. Thus, cancelling your subscription in the middle of the new monthly streaming service means that you can still enjoy the service until the next billing cycle.
This is as cancelling a subscription only means that you stop the monthly auto-renewal subscription, so you can still enjoy the service until the new billing cycle.