Are you looking for an Amazon Prime discount for seniors?
Keep reading to find some awesome Amazon Prime seniors discount.
Some may be wondering what Amazon Prime is, especially if they are not Prime members.
Amazon Prime is a subscription service that allows its members to receive Prime member benefits from Amazon such as having early access to upcoming sales and other Amazon deals, streaming movies for free with Amazon, birthday discounts, access to Prime videos, Prime gaming, and Prime music, or even free and fast shipping when you purchase items with them. Amazon has over 200 million Prime members.
Amazon Prime is unfortunately not free for seniors. For seniors to get Amazon Prime, they need to have been enrolled in a government assistance program, for example, Medicaid, SSI, SNAP, TANF, and so forth.
The same cards avail you of discounts and not anything else.
Amazon Prime Benefits
a) Prime shipping
This is the main reason why people choose Amazon Prime is the early shipping. The members get free two-day shipping and overnight delivery for either $2.99 per item or free.
They also have same-day delivery for free in certain cities and zip codes. It also depends on certain items and recently, Amazon has decided to increase the items available for one-day delivery.
b) Prime Day
This day is the best day to shop on Amazon and you can be sure to save so much money that it surpasses the amount you pay for the Prime membership fee yearly.
Especially if you buy things off Amazon on Prime day. Millions of popular items like electronics or put on display with amazing discounts that are only available for Prime members for two days.
c) Prime Reading
If you are a Prime subscriber and are obsessed with books, the Prime reading feature and benefit will be literal heaven to you.
It is like a bookshop where you can get any book you want in the world with all the content you want and have access to all of it for free.
There is no limit to how much you can consume with Prime reading.
d) Early Access to Deals
If you are on Amazon Prime, you get to access the lightning deals 30 minutes before everyone else who is a non-subscriber.
These deals are on for a limited time and have very compelling offers that you would not want to miss out on.
e) 50% Off Offers for Students
For all Amazon Prime subscribers, you get deals, offers, and even promotions solely for students.
On top of the 50% discount, you get a two-day shipping offer for everything you buy.
You get $10 as credit when you refer a friend and they get to join.
f) Prime Try Before You Buy
This is an amazing perk that only Prime members can enjoy. You can buy all the items you want such as clothes, shoes, and accessories, and try them out at home to find the right fit.
If it does not fit, you return it and you will only get to pay for what you decide to keep. If you end up returning everything after seven days, you will not pay even a dime for the stuff.
There is an additional membership fee for Prime members who also want monthly styling services and a feature called ‘outfit compare' where you can send off pictures of you wearing different outfits and in a minute or two, you get feedback from the stylists telling you which one looks better and what to add or take out on a certain outfit.
g) Prime Household
Once you become a Prime member, you get one account. It, however, does not mean you get to enjoy the benefits alone.
You can share these perks and benefits like free shipping or additional features with your whole family.
It is strictly available to only family members so your best friend cannot be added to the mix.
How Much is Amazon Prime?
This premium deal goes for $139 per year or $14.99 per month. The fee has hiked over time which makes it harder for people to join but it comes with perks that will surely save you money in the long run.
There are however other plans depending on the benefits you want to mostly enjoy:
- Prime monthly membership – for $14.99 per month, you get full Prime benefits with a spread out of your payments. This plan goes for $180 yearly. With government assistance, your membership fee in this plan drops to $6.99 per month.
- Prime annual membership – if you are paying the whole sum yearly, you get to spend $139 per year which is much cheaper in the long run.
- Prime student membership – with a valid school email address, a Prime student will get a fix-months trial and a discounted membership fee of $69 per year or $7.49 per month.
- Prime Video membership – at a fee of $8.99 per month or $108 per year, you enjoy Amazon Prime video full of unlimited TV shows and movie streaming at the fullest.
How Much is Amazon Prime for Seniors?
Seniors pay the usual fee of $14.99 per month without a discount. If they are eligible for a discount which has a fixed price of $8, they get to pay $6.99 per month and $5.99 if they are enrolled in the government assistance programs mentioned above.
Other than having to qualify for government assistance, most people will say you have to be at least 55 years of age or 65 to qualify for the Amazon Prime senior discount.
Technically, there is no age limit when signing up for an Amazon Prime senior discount as long as you can prove your government assistance.
The senior discount is not a major thing on Amazon and if you ask them, there is no senior discount.
This discount is for qualifying government assistance recipients and the benefits highly favor any senior.
To sign up as an Amazon Prime member, you have to go to the Amazon Prime website and click the “sign up” button. Key in your email address and your password and then click on the “your Prime membership” tab.
You will see a lot of options appear so scroll down to the “Prime eligibility” tab then choose the “I am a senior citizen” section.
After all of that, click “continue” and you are good to go and begin to enjoy the multiple benefits.
Alternatively, you can take the instant discount route where you key in your card details as mentioned below.
Amazon Prime Senior Discount
The Amazon Prime senior discount is offered to seniors as another Prime benefit.
As mentioned before, seniors who get these discounts are those receiving assistance from the government.
Currently, seniors need to have a valid EBT card or Medicaid and need to have any of the following cards:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- Women, Infants, and children
With a discount, the Prime membership fee is cut down to $71.99 per year, and get to enjoy facilities likes:
- Free one-day shipping on select tech is a major advantage to senior people when it gets harder to move around as we age.
- 2-hour delivery or same-day shipping on whole foods.
- Free movies and videos on Amazon Prime videos.
- Free unlimited music on the Amazon music app that is ad-free.
- Special discounts on Twitch games.
- Free, unlimited books to read on Kindle with audiobooks generated by Amazon's audiobook, podcast divi, son, and Audible.
- A six-month free trial of the Washington Post.
- Eligibility of the 5% cashback on Amzon.com and whole foods, 2% cashback on restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores, and 1% cashback on their other purchases by using Amazon pay.
- Unlimited photo storage for full-resolution photos with an additional 5 GB storage on Amazon for not just you but also your family members. You can access them at any time, from any device.
- Same-day or next-day delivery of groceries only if you are in the following cities; Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Northern Virginia, Philadelphia, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington D.C.
With all the requirements that make you eligible for a senior discount, you are free to sign up for it by going to the Amazon Prime senior discounts Sign-up page.
Under the “choose how you want to qualify” section, select the ‘EBT card' or ‘Medicaid' depending on the one you have and key in your card number, and upload the image of the card. After keying in all the information required on the page, including specifying if you have a valid card, you can press the “Continue” button.
From here, you need to update your EBT card or Medicaid card and upload the picture on Amazon every year to still be eligible for the senior discount or stay a Prime member.
With this newly created senior account, the Amazon Prime EBT discount benefits are available for four years. There is also a 30-day free trial after you sign in.