Are you looking for ways to throw the perfect baby shower on a budget? You're not alone. A baby shower can be a fun and memorable event but can also be expensive. If you're looking for tips on how to save money, you've come to the right place.
In this blog post, we'll share tips on how to throw a baby shower on a budget. We'll also provide ideas for inexpensive decoration and food options. So, whether you're planning your own baby shower or helping someone else plan one, read on for some helpful advice.
What Is A Good Budget For A Baby Shower
Baby shower budgets can range anywhere from $100 to $1,000, depending on the number of guests, the location, and the type of event you want to host. Budgeting for a baby shower doesn't have to be difficult. There are a few key factors to consider when determining how much to spend:
- Think about the size of the event. A small baby shower with just close family and friends will require less money than a large baby shower with a guest list of 100 people.
- Take into account the location of the baby shower. There may be an associated cost if it's being held at a restaurant or hotel.
- Consider what type of food and drink you'll be serving. If you're planning on making all the food yourself, your budget will be lower than if you're hiring a catering company.
- Don't forget to factor in decorations, baby shower games, and party favors.
By considering all these factors, you can come up with a realistic budget for your baby shower.
How Do I Make A Baby Shower Budget
When planning a baby shower, one of the most important considerations is your budget. After all, you want to ensure that you have enough money to cover all necessary expenses. So how do you go about creating a budget for your baby shower?
Determine The Number Of Guests To Invite
One of the first things you need to do is determine how many people you will be inviting. This will give you a good idea of how much food and drink you will need to purchase. It will also help determine the venue size you will need to rent. Once you have a rough estimate of these costs, you can start to allocate your budget accordingly.
Consider What Type Of Baby Shower You Want
Another important factor is the type of baby shower you want to throw. If you want something more low-key, you won't need to spend as much on decorations and entertainment. However, if you are looking for a more extravagant affair, your budget must reflect that.
Include Miscellaneous Costs
Finally, don't forget to factor in any miscellaneous costs that may come up during the planning process. This could include things like postage for invitations or tips for the catering staff. By taking all of these factors into account, you can create a realistic baby shower budget.
How To Have An Amazing Baby Shower On A Budget
Planning a baby shower doesn't have to break the bank. There are plenty of ways to host a memorable event without spending a fortune. Here are a few tips for having a baby shower on a budget:
1. Choose A Location For The Baby Shower
Having a baby shower at a venue can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. Instead, consider hosting the shower at a free space such as your house or shelter at a local park.
Other options for a venue could be a senior center, recreational center, patio, or backyard. Some churches have parsonages that they allow members to use for free. A restaurant is another option, but you would probably be obligated to buy their food, and that might be too expensive.
2. Choose A Baby Shower Theme
Choosing a baby shower theme can be a fun and creative way to add a personal touch to the event. There are many themes to choose from, ranging from classic and timeless to trendy and modern. If you're unsure where to start, consider the parents' personalities and interests, as well as the baby's due date.
For example, a nautical theme would be perfect for a summer baby shower, while a winter wonderland theme would be ideal for a December baby shower. Once you've chosen a theme, you can start planning the details, including the decor, invitations, games, and food.
With a little planning and creativity, you can throw an unforgettable baby shower that the parents will always remember.
3. Make Cheap Baby Shower Invitations
To keep your baby shower on a budget, send invitations online. Nowadays, you can find a lot of cute digital invitations that can be personalized for any gender or theme.
To save even more time and money the mom-to-be can send out digital thank you notes after the shower. You can use the following sites to customize your invitations:
If your guests are on Facebook, you can create an event there. Facebook makes it easy for your guests to RSVP and for you to post-shower updates. Remember, the baby shower should take place around the sixth or seventh month of pregnancy, and invitations should be sent out about a month beforehand.
If the mom-to-be created a baby shower gift registry, it’s a good idea to note where it is in the invitation. Be sure to get this information before you finalize the invitations so your guests will have plenty of gift ideas.
If the mom-to-be has not created a registry, you can create one for her. The Amazon Baby Registry makes it easy, so you can have it set up in minutes. The mom-to-be can change the registry as she likes.
The Amazon Baby Registry is popular because most people have an Amazon account. Amazon has a vast collection of baby items that are competitively priced. Prime Members also get a 15% completion discount. Another benefit of Amazon Is that almost anything can be returned, no questions asked. If the mom-to-be is not happy with something for any reason, she can return it.
4. Cheap Baby Shower Ideas For Decorations
When it comes to decorations, try to keep things simple. A few well-chosen items can go a long way. balloons, streamers, and banners are all affordable options that can transform a space with minimal effort.
For added impact, personalize your decorations with the mom-to-be’s name or the baby’s due date. Another cost-effective tip is to use items that can be reused or repurposed later on. Items like vases, candles, and even fabric can be used in the nursery or around the house after the baby arrives.
With a little creativity, you can throw a stunning baby shower without breaking the bank. Here are some more tips for saving money on decorations:
We all have that one friend or relative that never throws anything away, ask around and see if anyone has decorations that you can use.
Before you make any purchases be sure to compare prices online. Here are some deals that I found online:
- Baby Shower Decoration Kit: I found this fabulous kit on Amazon for less than $35. The kit contains banners, tassels, and fans that look good together.
- Baby Shower Prediction And Advice Cards: Use these popular mason jar cards to add a special touch to the gift table.
- Straws: Add a touch of elegance to the baby shower with pink and gold biodegradable paper straws.
I put together a sixteenth birthday party with tableware and decorations from two different dollar stores. I found a small helium tank with balloons at the Dollar General; it was much cheaper than purchasing from a party store.
The Dollar Tree is where I found my tableware and ribbons for the balloons. The last time I was at the Dollar General, they had small bunches of flowers for just a couple of bucks. The flowers were beautiful; I was surprised to see something so nice for so cheap. Put a small bunch of flowers in a mason jar, and you have the perfect centerpiece for a table.
Don’t forget to use sites like Rakuten and Retail Me Not to get cash back on items that you purchase online.
5. DIY Baby Shower Decoration Ideas
One of the best ways to save money is to make your decorations. Here are some easy decorating ideas that you can use for a boy or girl baby shower.
Tissue Paper Pom Poms
If you like the cute cake pop look, but you don’t want the hassle or expense, make Marshmallow Pops instead!
Need a great centerpiece? Mason jars are very popular right now; you can do so many amazing things with them. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to make painted and distressed mason jars.
These adorable napkin rings add an extra pop of color to an already beautiful table setting. Simple and cheap…that’s what I like.
Here’s how to create party decor that can be used long after the shower is over. Make a beautiful centerpiece out of diapers, ribbon, and flowers. You could also use colorful washcloths instead of diapers for this project.
Make this simple baby banner that’s easy to put together. You probably already have everything you need to make this banner lying around the house, if not, the materials are cheap.
A diaper cake is one of those decorations that stands out at a party. A diaper cake is fun to make because there are so many ways to add your personal touch!
Balloons are a cheap but stylish way to make a big impact at your baby shower.
6. Play Cheap Baby Shower Games
Everyone loves a sweet baby, but not everyone loves boring baby shower games. We certainly don't! So if you're looking for games that are fun and budget-friendly, we've put together some seriously fun options for you to choose from. Here are our top baby shower games to keep your baby shower on a budget.
- Price Is Right: Get free printable baby shower Price is Right game sheets to play at your shower! Everyone will have a good time playing this fun baby shower game.
- Scratch-Off Emoji Game: If you want a FUN and UNIQUE baby shower game, try the Emoji Scratch-Off Baby Shower Game. A good way to break the ice at your event.
- Bingo: Baby Shower Bingo is a free game and it’s easy to put together. Print out your Bingo cards and you're all set.
- Diaper Raffle: The average baby goes through 70 diapers per week. Crazy, but true. That's why this game is such a great gift for new parents. When sending out your baby shower invitations include a note to guests to tell them that you'll be raffling off a surprise at the shower. For each diaper, they bring they’ll receive a raffle ticket. The more diapers they bring, the more raffle tickets they receive!
7. Inexpensive Baby Shower Favor Ideas
You can purchase a lot of inexpensive prizes for winners of the games from The Dollar Store or online. It’s amazing what you can find if you’re willing to get creative. I’ve seen a wide variety of prizes at baby showers, but these are some of the most memorable:
- Scented candles
- Designer soap
- Scented lotions
- Hair clips
- Note pads
- Coffee mugs
- Picture frame
- Recipe Box
Here are some more inexpensive ideas for prizes:
- Create a cute and easy baby shower prize by adding a $5 gift card from a coffee shop to a cute coffee cup.
- Put together a nail kit with a small bottle of nail polish, a nail file, and some cotton balls.
- Wrap a small towel around some spa products such as lotions, shampoo, conditioner, and body wash, and tie it with a pretty ribbon.
- Five-dollar gift cards from places like Starbucks, Target, Amazon, and iTunes.
- For the non-coffee drinkers buy some pretty teacups and add some tea bags or hot cocoa mix.
8. Save Money On Baby Shower Food
You can’t have a baby shower without a bunch of cute edibles for guests to eat. However, if you’re trying to keep your baby shower on a budget, you might need to cut back on how much you spend on food. Remember, at a baby shower, the food is part of the decor. You can’t just put a casserole dish on the table and call it good.
In order to keep from going over budget on the food, you need to dress up cheap eats so you don’t sacrifice the tone of the baby shower. Keep in mind that fresh fruits and vegetables are always appropriate, and they look pretty on the table.
If you need more inspiration, here’s a list of 55 delicious recipes for a baby shower.
Instead of buying a fancy cake, you could make cupcakes and decorate them yourself. I found this cool recipe where you pour the icing on the cake and top it with colorful sprinkles. Don’t forget to check out all the cheap and easy cake ideas on Pinterest too.
9. Get Creative With Baby Shower Photos
A professional photographer is probably not in the budget for most baby showers but that doesn’t mean that you can’t take some amazing pictures of the big event. Most cell phones take some great pictures. If you have an iPhone, you’ll want to switch your camera to portrait mode to take the best picture possible.
You can have the most beautiful baby shower ever, but sometimes the pictures look just like everyone else’s. There are pictures of the mom-to-be and the cake. Yes, those are essential shots, but there are many ways to take pictures that will set your shower apart. Take a look at the pictures you’ll want to snap on the big day.
- A picture with dad.
- Take pictures of the food table.
- A group picture of all the guests.
- The gift table.
- Get pictures of all the kids at the shower.
- Take pictures of the mom-to-be as she enters the room.
- Try to get two pictures of each individual guest.
Baby Shower Checklist
A Baby Shower Checklist is your way of making sure that everything gets done in time for your baby shower. Click on the image above to download your free baby shower checklist now!
Who Pays For The Baby Shower
Traditionally the hostess pays for the baby shower. However, it’s okay for the hostess to divide up the costs by asking a few family members or friends to help. You could have someone bring drinks, a few people help with the food, another could be in charge of games, and another in charge of decorating.
If people are unable to help host the shower, they still may be willing to make a financial contribution to help cover costs. When it comes to etiquette, never ask the mom-to-be to help pay for the shower.
Final Thoughts On Hosting A Baby Shower On A Budget
Baby showers don't have to be expensive! There are many ways to throw a budget-friendly baby shower that will be fun for guests of all ages. Using some tips we've shared, you can host a memorable shower without spending a fortune. What are you waiting for? Get started planning your perfect baby shower today!