After Spotify Kids launched in 2020, it became a popular and secure music streaming platform for kids. But is Spotify Kids free?
Initially, it was launched in the US, Canada, and France; now, it's available in more than 12 countries. Do you know how Spotify Kids works? Or how you can invite your kids to join the Spotify family?
Quick Answer: Spotify Kids isn't a standalone service; it's only available with a Spotify Premium Family plan, which means it's not free. Spotify Kids is available via invites through the family premium, or after logging in through Spotify Premium, you can create a Spotify Kids profile.
How Does Spotify Kids Work?
As mentioned, Spotify Kids isn't a plan you can buy and access. As a Spotify Kids user, you must be invited by any family plan holder to use the app. Let's find out how it works from invite to access premium:
Step 1. Install Spotify Kids: If you want to use Spotify Kids, install it from the Play Store or App Store. After the Spotify Kids app is installed successfully, you need family plan access to activate it.
Step 2. Buy a Spotify Family Plan: There are two ways to activate Spotify Kids:
- One is to buy a Spotify premium plan and log into Spotify Kids through email and password.
- Another one is to send an invitation from the family plan; if you already have one.
Step 3. Join through the Family Plan: Now tab to open the Spotify Kids app, and it will ask, “Do you have a Spotify Family Premium Account.” Select “Yes” and log in with your email ID and password.
Note: Use existing family account ID and password
Step 4. Create a Spotify Kids account: After successfully logging in through a family ID and password, create the account for your children.
- Enter their name and birthdate.
- Choose what content you want them to see.
- Pick any avatar.
- Now you are all set to enjoy Spotify Kids.
Note: You can add another Spotify Kids account from here.
Is Spotify Kids Free? The Actual Cost of a Spotify Kids Account:
Because Spotify Kids isn't a separate plan to buy, determining the actual cost is pretty difficult. It all depends on how many members you have on the Family Plan. The simple calculation is to divide the total members by $16.99 to determine the actual cost.
If all five slots in the Spotify Kids account are full, it will cost you around $2.83 each per month. Let's see a chart for more details:
- 5 – $3.40
- 4 – $4.25
- 3 – $5.67
- 2 – $8.50
Is Spotify Kids Safe for Children?
Yes, it's safe for your kids and is the most popular children-friendly music streaming app. As of March 2021, Spotify Kids has 8,000 songs, and all are safe for young ears.
The Spotify Kids app is designed for children aged three and above. The app has a wide range of kid-friendly content including music, stories, audiobooks, and much more.
Spotify has a dedicated team that ensures the content is kid-friendly, and the app comes with many parental controls. As a parent, you can control the type of content you want them to have access to. Spotify Kids is one of the safest streaming apps for your kids.
Parental Controls for Spotify Kids Accounts:
1. How to block content on Spotify Kids
Check what your kid lists and block any content that you don't like. Follow these steps to do it:
- Open the Spotify Kids app, then select your child's avatar and tap “Grown-ups” with the gear or settings icon.
- Now tap on the listening history.
- Here, you can see the list of songs your kid already listened to. Tap to block any content.
2. How to Set a Parental PIN on Spotify Kids
A PIN is required to access parental settings within the Spotify Kids app; follow these steps to set your PIN:
- Open your Spotify Kids app and tap on the profile avatar.
- Then click on the Grown-ups. You'll need to enter the PIN you created for your account.
- If you don't remember, just tap on “Forgot PIN.”
3. How to Remove Explicit Content from Spotify Kids
- Open your Spotify Family plan from the web version. Then click the profile icon and tap “Account.”
- Select Premium Family from the left menu and click the Kids account you added,
- Here, you can see the option “Remove Explicit Content.”
You can control the Spotify Kids app and control your children's access. Spotify Kids is one of the safest streaming services available, so you can use it without any concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can invite up to five Spotify Kids to join under your Premium Family account.
Yes, the Spotify family manager can remove the Spotify Kids account.
No, you cannot create a Spotify Kids account without a Spotify Premium Family plan.