Does Ebates Give You Rebates?
The simple answer is yes and in this review, I will show you how easy it can be to get cash back for the vast majority of your online purchases. My wife & I have personally used Ebates for several years now and it's consistently one of our best shopping hacks we recommend.
- Product Name: Ebates
- Website: ebates.com
- What Does Ebates Do?: Gives you cash back when you make purchases on 2,000+ retail websites
- Cost: Free
- Recommended: YES
What is Ebates?
If you watch television with commercials, you might have seen an advertisement from a company named Ebates that has a logo with big yellow letters that says you can get cash back on your purchases and a sign-up bonus of $10. Yes, that Ebates.
By shopping through Ebates on many of your favorite stores and even some sites you might not think of including, Shutterfly, Snapfish, Hotwire, and Groupon. You make a purchase and you will receive an advertised cashback percentage depending on the site & what items you purchased.
This is a great way to save money on items you are already going to purchase.
Here is a short video that explains how Ebates works:
How To Sign Up For Ebates
Signing up is easy and all you really need is an e-mail address to get started.
Here is a quick step-by-step signup & purchase process:
- Go to Ebates.com
- A pop-up will most likely appear that prompts you to sign up or click on the sign-up button on the homepage
- Enter your information & what sign-up bonus you want (as of this review you can get a $10 gift card to Ebates or Wal-Mart if you spend $25 within 90 days of signing up, the bonus can change so your offer might be different)
- After signing up, click the “Shop Now” button for the store you want to shop. To get additional savings, you may need to enter in a discount code at the purchase screen.
- At purchase time, enter any applicable coupon codes (This might not be applicable on your shopping trip to get savings)
- You will receive a “Big Fat Payment” quarterly (if your cash back balance is greater than $5.01)
Our Experience With Ebates
My wife is the one who introduced me to Ebates when we were dating. Obviously, she does most of the shopping as she buys most of our dry groceries and household online with (you guessed it!) Ebates.
Ebates has always been reliable with their reward payments, although they only disperse rewards quarterly so you cannot receive rewards on-demand.
Also, your inbox won't be flooded with spam but you do usually get a daily promotional e-mail that you can opt-out of. But my inbox hasn't been spammed from other merchants that got my address from Ebates.
Some of Our Best Ebates Bonuses
Here's a partial list of some our best Ebates shopping trips just to give you an idea of how we save money during the year:
- Intuit QuickBooks: $30 cash back
- Office 365: $5 cash back on annual subscription
- Vitacost: 3% cash back+
- Kohl's: 3%
- Amazon: Up to 3%
- Boxed: 4%
- Jet: 2.5%
We have the browser extension installed on our laptop to make sure we never miss a deal. I've also used the mobile app a time or two to make a purchase on the go and have been pleased with that as well–sometimes you can get extra cash by using the Ebates app.
Are we happy with Ebates? You better believe it.
Before getting further into the review, receiving cash back (or shopping on Black Friday) can be a double-edged sword. It can save you money or cause you to spend more money than you normally would.
Being enticed with cash back, can be dangerous. If you know you are going to save 6% on everything you buy from a particular store, how likely is it that you are going to spend more than you originally planned? The same can be said for paying with plastic instead of cash as well.
My personal opinion is that Ebates, like credit cards, are a great way to save money if you are responsible. If you have a spending problem, don't get a credit card or only shop in person (or with somebody to hold you accountable).
How Much Money Can You Save With Ebates?
With Ebates, you can save up to 40% depending on the store.
Example: My wife, in particular, likes to get pictures printed from Shutterfly and Snapfish of our 6-month old. If you have ever used either of these two sites, they run periodic promotions such as 100 prints for $1 plus shipping or a calendar for $10. Using Ebates, we can save an additional 20% on our Snapfish order.
Looking at the picture on the left, the typical Ebates discount for Snapfish is 10%, however the current cash back offer is 20%.
Pretty Cool, Huh?
Regarding discounts, you need to read the offer details. Some sites will give storewide discounts on everything you purchase. Other stores only offer a discount on certain products, like 3% cash back on purses but no discount on jewelry. To get a certain discount you might need to enter a Promo Code at the checkout screen, like “save35” to get 35% off pairs of jeans.
Two stores in particular, Amazon & eBay, are very selective with their reward offers.
Saving money is really easy with Ebates, you just need to remember to access the shopping site using the Ebates link.
Other Ways To Save Money With Ebates
There are three other ways to receive rewards with Ebates.
1. Ebates Cash Back Button
I'm not a big fan of cluttering up my browser with lots of add-ons, but the Ebates button is handy & easy to uninstall if you don't like it.
What I Like About The Button
- Easy way to see if the store has a storewide discount, without having to go to Ebates site first.
- Allows you to open a shopping session to get Ebates savings
- If you visit certain sites, the button will pop up with savings that you can earn on the site.
- If you are searching for certain topics in search engines, it will also show cash back offers in the search results.
What I Dislike About The Button
- You need to visit the website before able to see the additional store deals. You do this by clicking on the button, once on the store website then click “Store Deals” to see store promotions that you see what you can save in addition to the Ebates cash back offer.
- The button doesn't pop up with savings on every site. Sometimes you need to be a little “proactive” and see if you can save money.
2. Link Your Own Credit Cards & Save Money With In-Store Savings
There's an Ebates app for that…
Another way to save money with Ebates is to link your “plastic” to your profile & get cash back with “In-Store” savings that Ebates offers. You can signup for savings on Ebates and also using your smartphone app. If you make a purchase in the store with your linked credit or debit card, you will get a cash back credit!
3. Ebates Credit Card
If you can use a credit card responsibly, this might be an option for you.
As of this review, you get an additional 3% cash back on Ebates purchases and 1% on everything else. There is also no annual fee.
Plus the credit card is Apple Pay compatible, if you use this payment option.
Big Fat Payment
It's great to be saving all this money, but when are you going to see this cash?
Ebates allows you to receive your payment in three different ways:
- Big Fat Check (Their term & no postage fees charged)
- Donate Savings To The Charity Of Your Choice
- Your donations can qualify as being tax-deductible
Ebates pays four times each year based on when your purchases are credited:
You will only receive your rewards once they exceed more than $5.01. For those that aren't big spenders, you will need to make an Ebates purchase once every 12 months to keep your account active.
From this review, I hope you have seen how easy it can be to save money while shopping.
You just need to remember one simple rule: Shop using Ebates, or you won't get cash back. This is even easier to remember with the Ebates button.
So if you want to start saving money on products you are going to buy anyway, check out Ebates today.
Do you use Ebates? How else do you save money while shopping?
Thanks For Reading,
Josh founded Money Buffalo in 2015 to help people get out of debt and make smart financial decisions. He is currently a full-time personal finance writer with work featured in Forbes Advisor, Fox Business, and Credible.