- When Luke beats Vader in their final fight and decides not to kill him on the grounds that he was a Jedi, like his father before him. For me as a child in a movie theatre, that moment was awesome. This moment was then topped by Vader actually being a good guy and killed the Emperor to save his son! You, were right Luke, you were right!
- In Empire, Luke gets lost in a snow storm (why did he run out of the cave, he’d already killed the Wampa?) which leads to Han Solo putting Luke’s hypothermic body inside of a Taun Taun – which is a pretty cool trick.
- Luke’s Trench Run. This was the epic finale of Star Wars – filled with dog fighting space ships, explosions, noble deaths and WOAH! Luke turned off his camera thingy on the wise advice of the ghost of Obi Wan! Woohoo!
- When the Millennium Falcon escapes from the giant space worm. Enough said.
- When Darth Maul draws his double sword. You saw it in the trailer and thought it was cool, it didn’t matter you’d already seen it when it happened for real, you knew it was gonna be awesome. And it was. We miss you Qui Gon.
- Obi Wan and Anakin fight the fight of all fights of the Star Wars series in Revenge of the Sith. You knew it was coming, you knew Obi Wan was going to win but you didn’t know how – and it was Anakin being blinded to his own arrogance – Obi Wan has the higher ground and with a swift swoosh of a blade, and what this author sees as Anakin’s final transition to being Vader was completed.
- The Pod Race in The Phantom Menace was just great fun in a movie. It was a thrilling ride. It topped the race Leia and Luke had against the Storm Troopers on Endor in Jedi.
- When Anakin murders the Younglings in Revenge of the Sith. This was the most chilling moment to ever happen in a Star Wars film.
- When Lando and Nien Nunb fly the Millenium Falcon right at the viewer in Return of the Jedi. Watch it here on youtube. It's right after the infamous “It's a Trap” from Ackbar.
- It’s a given we have to include the moment when Vader says to Luke, “No, I am your Father”. That blew everyone’s minds didn’t it?
- When Yoda dies 🙁
- Pod Race
- Luke’s flip to catch his light saber as R2 fired it into the air from Jabba’s Sail Barge.
- “I know”
- When Yoda steps out of the shadows to fight Count Dooku
This list could have easily been another 90 moments long – what are yours?
Paul Rose Jr has worked as TV News Producer, Forensic Analyst, and Train Conductor, among many other things. He’s the former TV Editor for Infuzemag.com and owns more books, DVDs, and comics than most people have seen in their lifetimes. When he’s not writing articles, he exercises his creative muscle writing screenplays and acting in film and television in Los Angeles, CA.