The very best Star Wars movie quotes from the best characters
One of the best things about the Star Wars films is that they are so quotable – the lines and phrases have become part of pop culture across so many realms – Yoda’s altered sentence structures, Han’ call it like it is quips and Luke’s bright eyed innocence about wanting to go to Toche Station have made the films live on.
- “You must unlearn what you have learned.” – Some say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Yoda seemed to think he Luke could with Luke and ultimately he was proven right.
- “Do or do not. There is no try.” – This pretty much sums up the whole of Luke's efforts in Empire
- “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.” – A line from Phantom Menance where Yoda is basically outlining what will happen to Anakin Skywalker and the consequences his fear will have for himself, all those around him and beyond.
- “When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hmmm?” – Yoda has a joke with Luke and then he dies….
- “No, there is another.” As Obi Wan Kenobi laments Luke possibly failing and being the last hope, Yoda through into the mix that there was another hope.
So says Luke to his Uncle Owen thus showing he's just a whiny farm kid who doesn't respect that he's gotta do his chores. It's also a quote designed to show how far removed Luke is from the perils that Leia recently found herself above the planet.
Here's the exchange between the two:
Darth Vader: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. Luke, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.
Luke Skywalker: I'll never join you!
Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Vader: No. I am your father.
Luke: No…no. That's not true. That's impossible!
Vader: Search your feelings, you know it to be true!
Luke: Noooo! Nooooo!
Apparently the line, ‘No, I am your father is often misquoted' as ‘Luke, I am your father‘.
In Jedi, Luke showed he had learned some of Jedi mind tricks the Obi Wan had showed him:
Luke: You will take me to Jabba now.
Bib Fortuna: I take you to Jabba now.
Luke: You serve your master well. And you will be rewarded.
Luke: I'll not leave you here. I've got to save you.
Anakin: You already have, Luke.
C3PO's lines of dialog from the Star Wars movies served him well and are endlessly quote able. Here's a taste of his best:
- “I suggest a new strategy, Artoo: let the Wookie win.” – Aboard the Millenium Falcon, R2D2 is beating an agitated Chewbacca so C3PO suggests the strategy to placate the hairy goof.
- “Don't you call me a mindless philosopher you overweight glob of grease!” From A New Hope in response to a cheeky comment by R2.
- “Wait. Oh My ! What have you done. I'm backwards you filthy furball” Chewbacca has put together C3PO wrong after he was torn apart on the Cloud City in Empire
- “R2-D2 where are you ?” Once again our robot has lost his best friend.
- “R2-D2, it is you, It Is You !” Once again our robot has found his best friend
- “Die Jedi Dogs! Oh what did I say?” C3PO having an out of body experience in Attack of the Clones.
Luke and the gang have just escaped the Death Star following the death of Obi Wan Kenobi when Vader sends a squadron of Tie Fighters after them. Luke manages to shot one down and is pretty happy about it when Solo chirps back with this line. Han’s no fool, he’s been around much longer and knows that what they’re going through is life and death…. and that Tarkin let them escape.
“Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, princess. I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money”
Han had a giant bounty on his head set by Jabba the Hutt when he said this to Princess Leia. Still, he managed to overlook this long enough to fly in and save the day by getting Vader out of the way so Luke could bring down the Death Star.
This next one from Empire Strikes Back is possibly one of the greatest ad libbed lines in the history of movie making. Han is about to be encased in Carbonite then sent to Jabba the Hutt so Boba Fett can claim the bounty on Han. Leia was finally able to vocalise her love for the smuggler any says “I love you”. His response is the classic:
Leia got to return the favour during the Battle of Endor in ROTJ.
“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”
|Should have paid his debts!|
“Never tell me the odds!”
A quote that has been adopted by many fans for whenever they need to start something such as their car.
There are plenty of Boba Fett fans out there and many of them were disappointed when the character found himself knocked into the Sarlac pit by a blinded Han Solo. Still, it was kind of funny when I was a kid…
We had to leave this one till last, the infamous Kessel run quote:
“You’ve never heard of the Millennium Falcon? … It’s the ship that made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs.”
Why is this infamous? A Parsec is a measurement of distance not time – so Han was simply making an idle boast to impress Obi Wan and young Luke about the speed of the Millennium Falcon. Or was he? Tie-in books have explained that Han meant he cut down the distance commonly traveled on the Kessel run by flying close to Black Holes that no one else had dared to. But the new canon rules have made this explanation defunct.
“And you, young Skywalker; we shall watch your career with great interest.”
Attack of the Clones
Palpatine: Master Yoda. Do you really think it will come to war?
Yoda: The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.
The Emperor: Your faith in your friends is yours.
“So be it, Jedi!”
The coolest thing about this line at the end of Jedi was that this was the Emperor admitting that Luke Skywalker, the kid who once whined about picking about power converters from Tosche Station was now a Jedi. Without Yoda to admit Luke to the Jedi, it was as close as Luke was ever going to get his Jedi Badge pinned to his chest. It was also about the time the Palpatine let forth with a blast of blue Force electricity on Luke.
Empire Strikes Back quotes:
- Why, you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler.
- Having trouble with your droid?
- You look absolutely beautiful. You truly belong here with us among the clouds.
- They told me they fixed it! I *trusted* them to *fix* it! It's not my fault!
- This deal is getting worse all the time!
Return of the Jedi quotes:
- No, wait! I thought you were blind! (Han is about to shoot at the Sarlacc's tendril that is wrapped on Lando's leg
- That blast came from the Death Star! That thing's operational! – it sure was Lando, pull up
- Break off the attack! The shield is still up!
- We're on our way, Red group, Gold group, all fighters follow me. Ha ha ha, I told you they'd do it!
Paul Rose Jr has worked as TV News Producer, Forensic Analyst, and Train Conductor, among many other things. He’s the former TV Editor for Infuzemag.com and owns more books, DVDs, and comics than most people have seen in their lifetimes. When he’s not writing articles, he exercises his creative muscle writing screenplays and acting in film and television in Los Angeles, CA.