Last Updated: 5/01/23
Bookmark the following Google Sheet: Wealth of Geeks Article Tracking System. If you are just starting with Wealth of Geeks, you will need to click the button at the top – “Request Edit Access” once your first pitch is approved.
Prior to Writing
Whether you claim an open assignment or get a pitch approved, you MUST enter it on the “Wealth of Geeks Article Tracking System” sheet, with the date you accepted the assignment and your name.
The sheet is used to track your billing as well. If you invoice for an article not posted n the sheet, you may not be paid for it.
The Google Sheet has tabs at the bottom.
- GEEK articles (including video games) go on Geek Team tab.
- TRAVEL articles will go on the Travel Specific tab.
- NEWS & REVIEWS go on the NEWS & Reviews tab.
- Do not touch any of the other tabs, unless you are specifically directed to do so by Paul.
Mark whether the article is News, Review, Feature, Geek, or Listicle (if you’re unsure, make your best guess). You put the working headline, your byline name, and the targeted search term – if you have been given one.
PLEASE DO NOT ADD COLORS, SORT, OR DO ANYTHING WITH THE SHEET BESIDES FILLING IN THE REQUIRED INFORMATION.
- Generally, you have 5-7 days from claiming an article to turning it in. Some longer features or investigative pieces will get longer deadlines, on a case-by-case basis. Edits should be completed within 2 business days.
- TV Reviews should be completed and turned in within a day after the show airs (preferably hours).
- Movie reviews should be completed and published PRIOR to when the film can be seen the general public can see the film (so like 4pm on Thursday). Please note any embargo dates in the Google doc and in the notes section of the Google sheet.
Everyone has an emergency or an issue that comes up delaying them – that’s understandable. Once or twice. If you are constantly missing your deadline, we will have to reevaluate how much work you can claim and/or if you’re a good fit for Wealth of Geeks.
That ALSO means do not just go crazy, claiming 5 or 10 topics at once. Especially when you are just starting, you can only have THREE articles pending or assigned at one time.
Articles are prepared in a Google doc, set to share: “Anyone with Link can Edit”
Please do NOT link your article until it is ready to be edited. Once you post the Gdoc link in the sheet, the editing begins.
One of the Editors will take a look at your article. If it needs minor editing, we will fix it. If it needs major editing, it will be “sent back” to you for corrections. Again, this is part of the editorial process and one of the things you are paid for. Do not argue with the editor – make the change.
Once your article is at the appropriate level, we will load it into WordPress and prep it to be sent out. Again, if you are asked for changes, this is not an opportunity to argue, but to thank the editor for helping you become a better writer.
To assist you, I have linked the Article Guidelines below:
- General Article Guidelines
- AP/News Article Guidelines
- Entertainment Article Guidelines
- Review Article Guidelines
- Travel Article Guidelines & Pitch Specifics
- Food Article Guidelines & Pitch Specifics (coming soon!)
- Trending Topics Articles & Assignment Specifics (also TCA)