How to fix the administrator approval required for installation error on the Xbox Game Pass app on PC?
The Xbox PC app opens the doors to the ever-expanding video game library of Xbox Game Pass. While the massive catalog of games gains new members each day, players often find themselves frustrated by various issues. One of the most encountered errors is the administrator approval required error that prevents players from downloading new games.
There is no doubt that this error is easily the most dreaded technical issue on the platform. It completely blocks the player from installing new games. As most players shared, reinstalling the application or resetting the computer did not help.
Do not worry though, as it is possible to fix this problem right away with the methods below.
How to fix the Administrator Approval Required for Installation error?
The error states that the current user of the PC should have admin rights to start the installation. That being said, most players share that even though they have admin rights, the app refuses to download a new game.
What's interesting about this error is that it actually downloads certain games but continues the prevent others from downloading. We do not know why this error takes place for certain titles. But changing the startup preferences of the Xbox service can help.
Configure the settings of Xbox Services.
One of the main reasons behind this problem happens due to the startup type of Xbox services. You can easily change their startup preference and force them to run automatically. This will, hopefully, allow the Xbox Game Pass application to recognize your admin rights and install a certain game.
- Head to Windows Search Bar and type Services.
- You can also hit Windows + R to open Run and type services.msc.
- Find the service Xbox Accessory Management and right-click on it.
- Change the Startup type from Manual to Automatic.
- Repeat this process for Xbox Game Monitoring, Xbox Live Auth Manager and Xbox Game Save as well. Right click on all these services and change their startup type to Automatic.
- Exit the services.msc window and restart your PC.
Install Gaming Services from Microsoft Store.
Gaming Services is an essential application that allows your OS to properly support online services of various video games. Though Gaming Services usually comes with Windows and there would not be any need to install it again.
In administrator approval required for installation error, we will have to uninstall the app though. Here's how to do remove Gaming Services from your PC:
- Open Run by pressing on Windows + R button at the same time.
- Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Head to the following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services.
- Find GamingServices and GamingServices.net under Services and remove them as we are going to download them later on.
- Download Gaming Services from Microsoft Store by clicking on this link.
You can also reset Microsoft Store cache if the methods above did not fix the issue.
Run Xbox as an Admin.
While this methods seems the most obvious, most players share that this method has not been very helpful. Though there is no harm in trying every solution until the problem is solved. Here's how to run Xbox as an admin to give the required approval for installation.
- Open Windows + R and open Run.
- Type shell:AppsFolder and hit Enter.
- A window of all apps and software will appear on your screen.
- Find Xbox and move it to your Taskbar.
- Now hold Ctrl + Shift as you click on Xbox icon in the Taskbar to run it as an admin.
- Try installing a game to see if the problem is still there.
Unlike almost every other app on your PC, running Xbox is an admin is only possible this way. So you will have to locate it on Apps Folder and pin it to your Taskbar. Holding Ctrl + Shift at the same time will force it to open with administrator priviliges.
Clear Microsoft Store Cache.
Clearing the cache of a certain application usually allows it to run faster as well. In this case, we will hope that it will fix our Xbox administrator approval required for installation problem as well.
- Open Windows Search Bar and type wsreset.
- Right-click on the command and select Run as administrator.
- A command box will appear on the screen after you click on wsreset.
- Wait for the reset process to be over.
- Try installing a game from the store to see if the issue persists.
We also listed some other methods for you to try to fix the error. Have a look at the possible solutions below to see if they will work for you.
Remove Xbox Game Pass for PC App from your PC.
A traditional error fixing method can actually help you with this infamous Xbox Game Pass error. Simply uninstall the app to download it later on. A clean install might allow you download new games from the library.
Reset your internet connection.
Even though your internet connection seems stable to you, apps and software often require a quick reset to function properly. Reseting your router might help with the case of the infamous Xbox administrator approval required for installation error as well. There is no harm in trying until the problem is officially solved.
We listed all of the possible solutions you can try to fix the error. Xbox Game Pass is truly a great place for all gamers around the world. It is such a shame that errors like these prevent players from trying out new titles and playing their games.
We hope that the methods we listed in our guide help you sort this problem out.
Paul Rose Jr has worked as TV News Producer, Forensic Analyst, and Train Conductor, among many other things. He’s the former TV Editor for InfuzeMag and owns more books, DVDs, and comics than most people have seen in their lifetimes. When he’s not writing or editing on Wealth of Geeks, he exercises his creative muscle writing screenplays and acting in film and television in Los Angeles, CA.