Perez Hilton Granted Supervised Visits With His 3 Kids, but Must Get Psychiatric Clearance First

Perez Hilton
Image Credit: Tinseltown / Shutterstock.

Perez Hilton now has a court-approved path to see his three children while his mother holds temporary legal custody, but the visits come with significant conditions.

New court documents obtained by TMZ show that Hilton may have supervised visitation with his children only after receiving psychiatric clearance. Any visits must then be overseen either by a family member agreed upon by both Hilton and his mother or by a therapist.

The order comes nearly two weeks after Hilton’s mother, Teresita Lavandeira, filed for temporary custody following the Aug. 4 mental health crisis that led to her son’s hospitalization. Hilton consented to the temporary custody arrangement.

The ruling establishes a controlled way for contact to resume while Lavandeira handles major decisions for the children and Hilton continues receiving inpatient medical and mental-health care. The supervised arrangement will remain in place until a judge orders otherwise or Hilton and his mother mutually agree to a different arrangement. 

His Mother Now Has Temporary Legal Custody

The same order formally grants Lavandeira temporary legal custody of Hilton’s three children. It notes that Hilton is their only legal parent and that he consented to the arrangement.

Lavandeira now has authority over decisions involving the children’s medical care, school enrollment and other matters necessary for their care.

When her attorney previously discussed the custody filing with PEOPLE, she said the family’s objective was to “protect the children and make sure they are safe” while providing stability during Hilton’s recovery.

The filing followed Hilton’s Aug. 4 hospitalization. His mother sought temporary custody on Aug. 7, three days after the crisis. The custody proceedings have now also been sealed. According to TMZ, the judge determined that confidentiality was necessary to protect the children from additional public attention surrounding the case.

The Children Left the Home as the Crisis Unfolded

Hilton’s family previously said his three children, sister and niece had been at his Miami home shortly before the Aug. 4 crisis escalated.

Once family members realized he was experiencing a serious mental health emergency, the children were taken out of the home. Hilton was subsequently hospitalized and began receiving inpatient treatment. Hilton did not contest his mother’s request because it was an arrangement to which he had already agreed.

Hilton Remains in Inpatient Care

The visitation ruling arrives while Hilton is still hospitalized. In an Aug. 17 family update reported by PEOPLE, his relatives said he remained in an inpatient setting under the care of medical and mental-health professionals.

“Perez’s health remains the priority,” the family said while explaining that his team would resume publishing on PerezHilton.com as he continued treatment.

TMZ’s Aug. 20 report on the visitation order likewise said Hilton remained hospitalized in an inpatient setting. The court order does not provide a timetable for his discharge or establish when the psychiatric clearance required for visitation might be obtained.