Perez Hilton Remains Hospitalized Nearly Two Weeks After Crisis as Family Shares New Recovery Update

LOS ANGELES - APR 1: Perez Hilton at the 28th Annual GLAAD Media Awards at Beverly Hilton Hotel on April 1, 2017 in Beverly Hills, CA
Image Credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.

Perez Hilton remains hospitalized nearly two weeks after a serious mental health crisis at his Miami home, with his family making clear that there is still no timetable for his return home or to work.

In a new update, Hilton’s family said the 48-year-old internet personality continues receiving inpatient treatment from a team of medical and mental health professionals. 

The update follows an emotional interview from Hilton’s sister, Barbara Lavandeira, who previously said both his physical and mental recovery would require considerable time. She also said her brother currently has no access to a cellphone, social media or the internet while his care continues.

One part of Hilton’s life is beginning to move again without him. His family says the team behind PerezHilton.com will resume publishing entertainment news this week while the site’s founder remains focused on his health and recovery.

Hilton Is Still Receiving Inpatient Treatment

The family’s latest official update says Hilton remains hospitalized following the Aug. 4 crisis. “At this time, Perez remains hospitalized and is receiving the medical care he needs,” the family said. “His treatment is continuing in an inpatient setting under the care of a dedicated team of medical and mental health professionals.”

The statement comes nearly two weeks after emergency services responded to Hilton’s Miami home following a disturbing livestream in which he appeared to harm himself. He was transported to a hospital with assistance from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, while mental health professionals and the Miami-Dade County Sheriff’s Office Crisis Response Unit were also involved.

Earlier family updates described Hilton’s condition as serious but stable and said he had experienced significant blood loss and other injuries requiring additional medical treatment.

His Sister Says There Is No Timetable for Him to Come Home

Barbara offered a more detailed picture of her brother’s recovery in a recent Page Six interview. “Mario remains hospitalized and continues to receive medical treatment for his injuries,” she said, referring to Hilton by his legal first name. “His physical and mental recovery is going to take a lot of time, but we remain hopeful.”

She also said the family’s visits and conversations with him have been limited while medical professionals determine what is appropriate for his treatment.

Asked when he might return home, Barbara said the family simply does not know. “I don’t want to offer a timeline or make promises about when he might come home,” she said. “Right now, the most important thing is that he receives the treatment he needs and isn’t rushed through any part of his recovery.”

PerezHilton.com Will Start Publishing Again Without Him

Hilton’s absence creates an unusual situation for a website he has personally built around his voice for more than two decades. “Perez built PerezHilton.com more than 20 years ago, and it has remained one of the most important parts of his life ever since,” his family’s latest statement said.

Starting this week, his team will resume publishing and focus on the day’s biggest entertainment stories while Hilton remains hospitalized. The latest PEOPLE update confirms that the site is restarting while he is still receiving inpatient care.

Barbara had already explained that Hilton’s absence would inevitably affect how much material the site could publish. She said the team planned to cover as many major entertainment stories as possible while he was unable to create content himself.

She also made clear that longer-term decisions about PerezHilton.com and Hilton’s social media presence should eventually belong to him. “It’s his passion, so once he’s healthy and ready to return, any long-term decisions about the website, his social media platforms and their future direction should come from him,” she told Page Six.

His Family Is Also Focused on His Three Children

Hilton’s mother, Teresita Lavandeira, filed for temporary custody of his three children in Miami family court on Aug. 7, three days after the crisis. Her attorney told PEOPLE that the family’s objective was to protect the children and provide them with stability while their father receives treatment.

Barbara has pushed back against suggestions that the family is attempting to permanently separate Hilton from his children. She told Page Six that Hilton voluntarily consented to the temporary custody arrangement and said the family’s goal is for him to care for his children again when he is healthy and able to do so safely.