Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing for their biggest change in family life since leaving Britain six years ago. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are establishing a new home base in the U.K. with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, who are set to begin school there in September.
The family will relocate for an extended period beginning this month while retaining its Montecito home and vacation property in Portugal. PEOPLE reports that their new British residence will be a private, non-royal property, with both its location and the children’s school being kept confidential.
The move also opens the door to considerably more time with King Charles. PEOPLE reports that the King was informed of the plans on August 16 and welcomes the prospect of seeing Harry, Meghan and his grandchildren more often in a private family setting.
What it does not represent is a return to the arrangement Harry and Meghan left behind in 2020. They will remain private individuals and non-working members of the royal family, while Harry continues his charitable work and Meghan runs As Ever and pursues her other projects.
Archie and Lilibet Will Begin School in Britain
Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, are expected to begin school in the U.K. in September. The name and location of the school have not been made public, and the Sussexes are similarly keeping the location of their new home private.
It will be the first time either child has attended school in Britain. Archie was born in London in 2019 and spent the earliest part of his life at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor, while Lilibet was born in California in 2021 after Harry and Meghan had stepped away from royal duties.
The family’s July trip to Britain provided an early indication that its relationship with the country was changing. Harry, Meghan and the children met Charles and Queen Camilla at Highgrove House, marking the King’s first reunion with Archie and Lilibet in more than four years.
The Sussexes later traveled to Althorp, Princess Diana’s childhood home and burial place. PEOPLE reported that they spent time with members of the wider Spencer family and were believed to have paid their respects at Diana’s gravesite.
Harry Said Last Year He Could Not Bring His Family Back
The decision is particularly striking because Harry was describing a very different situation only 15 months ago. After losing his Court of Appeal challenge over his U.K. security arrangements in May 2025, he told the BBC that he could not see himself bringing Meghan and their children back to Britain under the circumstances at the time.
“For the time being, it’s impossible for me to take my family back to the U.K. safely,” Harry said before adding that he could not see “a world in which I would be bringing my wife and children back to the U.K. at this point.”
Security had become one of the central barriers between Harry and his home country after the Sussexes stopped automatically receiving the same taxpayer-funded police protection available to them as working royals. In the BBC interview, Harry said he wanted reconciliation with his family but described the security dispute as a major obstacle to bringing his wife and children to Britain.
King Charles Welcomes More Private Family Time
Charles learned of the relocation plans on Sunday, August 16, according to PEOPLE, only weeks after his private reunion with the Sussex family at Highgrove. The King is said to welcome the opportunity to spend more time with Harry, Meghan, Archie and Lilibet away from the public spotlight. The July gathering was particularly significant for the children, who had not seen their grandfather in person since 2022.
The warmer relationship between Harry and his father has not produced a comparable change with Prince William. PEOPLE reported in July that there was still “no contact” between the brothers and no movement toward a reconciliation.
The relocation has also moved beyond a single-source royal report. Reuters reported that a source close to Harry and Meghan confirmed the accuracy of reports that the couple would return to Britain with their children for an extended period. Neither Buckingham Palace nor Harry’s spokesperson issued a formal public statement to Reuters about the move.
