Robin Williams’ Children Bring His Instagram Back After 12 Years to Combat AI Fakes

Robin Williams with his son Zak
Image Credit: Everett Collection / Shutterstock.

Robin Williams’ children have brought his Instagram account back to life after 12 years, hoping an official archive of his work can help counter AI-generated imitations of his voice and likeness.

Zak, Zelda and Cody Williams published a joint statement on Aug. 17 as the family recognized what would have been their father’s 75th year. They said the account would share authentic stories, photographs, videos and memories.

Zelda later explained that creating a reliable source for genuine material was one of the best responses the family had found to what she called “rampant AI abuse.” She acknowledged that seeing the dormant account suddenly become active again might have surprised or upset some followers but said the family was trying to protect her father’s voice and likeness.

The page had been dormant since 2014, with its previous post appearing shortly before Williams’ death at 63. Its revived bio now directs followers to additional official accounts on TikTok, Facebook and YouTube, where authorized material from his career will also be shared.

The Family Wants a ‘Safe, Trusted Place’ for Williams’ Work

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

A post shared by therobinwilliams (@therobinwilliams)

In their statement, the three siblings said they were grateful that younger audiences continue discovering Williams while longtime fans still celebrate the joy he brought to their lives. “As technology evolves, we want this to be a safe, trusted place where the stories, photos, videos, and memories shared reflect his legacy with authenticity, warmth, and care,” Zak, Zelda and Cody wrote.

They said the revived account would allow them to share Williams’ humor and talent, including moments that made both his family and audiences laugh, while remembering his life and career.

Williams, who was born July 21, 1951, would have turned 75 this summer. His Instagram had effectively become a digital time capsule. Before the new family statement, its most recent post was a 2014 birthday tribute to Zelda shared shortly before Williams’ death on Aug. 11 of that year.

She apologized to anyone who found it upsetting to suddenly see activity coming from her father’s long-dormant page and acknowledged that the experience could feel strange. But she said the family had a specific reason for doing it.

Zelda Says Authentic Material Can Help Fight ‘Rampant AI Abuse’

Variety reported that Zelda described the revived profile as one of the family’s responses to increasingly common AI-generated recreations of Williams. “Making that space into one where people can find authentic clips and photos of him is one of the best ways we’ve now found to fight back against rampant AI abuse of his voice and likeness on here,” she wrote.

Zelda acknowledged that an official social-media archive cannot solve the broader problem by itself, describing the effort as perhaps only a “drop in the bucket.” “But we’re trying,” she added.

Williams’ official YouTube channel has been posting archival clips from his stand-up work since 2019. Instagram, however, had remained frozen for more than a decade.

Zelda Williams Previously Asked Fans to Stop Sending AI Videos

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

A post shared by Etalk (@etalkctv)

Zelda’s concern about AI recreations of her father long predates the family’s decision to revive his Instagram. In October 2025, she publicly asked people to stop sending her AI-generated videos that imitated Williams. “Please, just stop sending me AI videos of Dad,” she wrote at the time.

Zelda said she neither wanted to receive the videos nor believed her father would have approved of them. She objected to the way such videos reduced a person’s life and body of work to something that merely resembled their appearance and voice.

As Entertainment Weekly reported, Zelda described the resulting material as “horrible TikTok slop” that effectively puppeteered people who could no longer participate in decisions about how their likenesses were being used.

She argued that reproducing a recognizable face and voice was not the same as preserving the work that made the person meaningful in the first place.

She Was Warning About AI Versions of Her Father in 2023

Zelda had already raised the same issue during the 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike, when artificial intelligence and digital replicas became major points of contention between performers and studios.

At the time, she said she had spent years watching people attempt to train AI models to recreate actors who could no longer consent, specifically mentioning her father. She said she had already heard artificial versions of Williams’ voice being used to make him appear to say things he never said.

She argued that living performers should retain the opportunity to create characters through their own voices, decisions, time and labor. She described AI versions of deceased performers as poor approximations at best and something far more disturbing at worst.