Amanda Abbington Reaches Reported Five-Figure BBC Settlement After ‘Strictly’ Complaints

Amanda Abbington
Image Credit: BBC Politics /YouTube.

Amanda Abbington has reached a reported five-figure out-of-court settlement with BBC Studios following the dispute over her experience on Strictly Come Dancing.

The Press Association understands that BBC Studios paid the settlement, meaning the money did not come from the U.K. television licence fee. The Telegraph carried the same Press Association account. Neither the exact amount nor the full terms of the agreement have been made public.

Abbington withdrew from the BBC dance competition in October 2023 after five weeks, initially citing personal reasons. She later complained about the conduct of her professional partner, Giovanni Pernice, and described their rehearsal environment as toxic.

A BBC review completed in September 2024 upheld some, but not all, of Abbington’s complaints and led the broadcaster to apologize to her. Pernice rejected claims of threatening or abusive behavior and welcomed the finding that the most serious allegations against him were not upheld.

BBC Review Upheld Some of Abbington’s Complaints

 

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

A post shared by 𝐆𝐢𝐨𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐢 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐞 (@giovannipernice)

According to the latest Press Association report, it is understood that the corporation made no finding of physical aggression while complaints involving verbal bullying and harassment were upheld.

In its public response to the investigation, the BBC said it had assessed Abbington’s complaints and “upheld some, but not all” of them. It apologized to the actress and acknowledged that although steps had been taken to address problems during her time on the program, those measures were ultimately “not enough.”

Pernice addressed the outcome in an Instagram video posted on Sept. 30, 2024. He said he was relieved that none of the most serious allegations had been upheld, acknowledged that he could become frustrated while teaching and maintained that his intention was to get the best performance from his dance partners.

The dancer did not return to the British show’s professional lineup in 2024. He subsequently joined Italy’s Ballando con le Stelle and won the competition with actress and singer Bianca Guaccero.

Abbington Called the BBC Apology a ‘Vindication’

In a statement released through her lawyers after the review, Abbington called the BBC’s apology a “vindication” of her complaint. She also said she had received rape and murder threats and that a bomb threat had been sent to her workplace after she came forward.

Members of her family had also faced threats and intimidation, she said, but she maintained that she did not regret making the complaint. Abbington later told BBC News that the dispute and its public fallout had made the previous year one of the worst of her life.

BBC Had Already Added Chaperones Amid ‘Strictly’ Scrutiny

The BBC announced additional welfare measures for Strictly Come Dancing in July 2024, while the controversy surrounding the show’s rehearsal culture was still unfolding and before the Abbington review was completed that September.

The changes included requiring a member of the production team to be present during training-room rehearsals, alongside the introduction of a celebrity welfare producer and a professional-dancer welfare producer. The BBC also said the production team and crew would receive additional training.