Shia LaBeouf Reports Drinking Every Day Months After Saying ‘I Don’t Think I Have a Drinking Problem’

Shia LaBeouf
Image Credit: DFree / Shutterstock.

Shia LaBeouf’s latest probation update contains a striking new detail about his alcohol use. Months after saying publicly that he did not believe he had a drinking problem, the actor has now reported to court officials that he drinks alcohol every day.

The disclosure appears in new documents connected to LaBeouf’s New Orleans criminal case. TMZ obtained the filing, which says LaBeouf has remained compliant with required check-ins with his probation supervisor and self-reported daily alcohol use.

The documents also say he has provided proof that he is expected to complete anger-management and substance-abuse treatment by September. Nothing in the filing, as reported, identifies the daily drinking disclosure itself as a probation violation.

The update comes six months after LaBeouf’s Mardi Gras altercation in New Orleans and less than three months after he pleaded guilty to three counts of simple battery. It also creates a notable contrast with the way he described his relationship with alcohol while discussing the incident publicly in February.

LaBeouf Said in February That Alcohol Was Not His Main Problem

LaBeouf addressed his arrest at length in a Feb. 28 interview with Andrew Callaghan for Channel 5. He acknowledged that his behavior during Mardi Gras was wrong but pushed back on the idea that returning to rehab was the answer.

“I don’t think I have a drinking problem,” he said in the Channel 5 interview. LaBeouf instead said he believed the issues behind his behavior had more to do with anger, ego and what he described as a “small man complex.”

LaBeouf said his sobriety had ended roughly nine months earlier and described himself as having spent the period since then moving in and out of attempts to stop drinking. He also accepted responsibility for his conduct during the New Orleans incident, saying he would have to deal with the consequences of what he had done.

The New Filing Says He Is Following His Treatment Requirements

According to TMZ, they say he has been checking in with his probation supervisor as required and has provided proof that he will complete anger-management and substance-abuse treatment by next month.

The filing records LaBeouf’s self-reported daily alcohol use, but the available reporting does not say how much he drinks each day, diagnose him with an alcohol-use disorder or state that the disclosure itself violates his probation.

TMZ also reports that the documents contain a notation saying LaBeouf “denied mental health treatment”. His next court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 23. According to the filing, LaBeouf is not expected to appear because he will be shooting a movie.

His Mardi Gras Case Ended With Three Guilty Pleas

LaBeouf’s legal trouble began with a Feb. 17 confrontation outside a New Orleans bar during Mardi Gras. Police initially arrested him after accusing him of striking two people, and a third simple-battery charge was subsequently added in connection with the episode.

On June 3, LaBeouf pleaded guilty to all three misdemeanor simple-battery counts. The Associated Press reported that Orleans Parish Judge Juana Marine-Lombard imposed a six-month suspended sentence and two years of probation.

LaBeouf was also ordered to attend an alcohol-treatment program and stay away from both the victims and the bar where the confrontation occurred.

His attorney, Sarah Chervinsky, said at sentencing that LaBeouf wanted to take accountability for his role in what happened. Orleans Parish District Attorney Jason Williams said prosecutors had consulted with the victims before offering the plea agreement.